Brierley Hill, England: Hill & Smith, circa 1910. Hardcover. A rare architectural metal work products catalogue from Hill and Smith of Brierley Hill Ironworks, Near Dudley, South Staffordshire. The company was founded in 1824 as Edward Hill and Co . In 1853 it became a partnership between Edward Hill and Henry Smith as Hill and Smith of the Brierley Hill Ironworks. The company was renowned for its constructional steel and iron work, bridges, girders, iron buildings, architectural wrought metal work, iron fencing, gates, railings forgings and castings. "Hill and Smith is famous for supplying many miles of fencing for Queen Victoria, Ornamental Gates and parapet railing for the Royal House of Siam; work on the Sydney Harbour Bridge; the Royal Dockyard at Simonstown; South Africa, and gates at Hong Kong market and the European Club, Shanghai. " [company statement]. The company is still in business today. The catalogue is full of hundreds of black and white photographs of their architectural metal designs and structures. These are followed by structures for municipal and agricultural use, and then a section on foundry equipment and supplies. Bound in blue paper covered boards with diagram to front cover illustrating the types of metal works offered by the company. With blue cloth spine with company name. Binding is chipped, soiled and bumped. Interior pages are clean and bright. 525 pages plus index. ARCH/050619. Very Good.
Refine search resultsSkip to search results
Relay, MD: Calvert Distilling Company, 1940, 1941,1942. Softcover. A rare internally published bulletin from this former Maryland distillery. The Calvert Distilling Co. bought the Maryland Distillery in 1934. The Maryland Distillery was established in 1933 as the first legal whiskey still in Maryland after the repeal of prohibition. This publication was intended as a manual for the distillery's tour guides. It is a dense and lengthy document covering all aspects of the distillery's operations. There are many charts, tables, and diagrams on blending, flavoring and concentrations. There are also sections on government regulations, cleanliness and sanitation, and more. Calvert's Distilling was later taken over by Seagram's in 1939 and they continued producing Calvert Whiskey at this location. This publication was produced by mimeograph and has several sections individually paginated, including addenda dated 1941 and 1942. The entire publication has more than 100 pages. In a softcover report cover that is quite soiled, stained, and creased. Internal pages are very good although some of the print is light. With distillery's library stamp on first page. Very Good.